Thursday, February 5, 2009

One of the early cakes



This is one of my first cakes. My first cake was Allison's first year birthday cake, and I don't think we had our digital yet. I need to check grandma's files and see if she has a copy of that one. You all would laugh!! This is Allison's second year birthday cake. Probably my second cake made, I don't think I really got into it until after this one.



Notice, no fondant. After my first cake I wasn't sure I would like working with fondant. I then found out how to really use it, and that made a difference. I would prefer to use the fondant now. It gives it a better finish if you ask me. For someone who is a perfectionist, I could never get the icing smooth enough. It drove me nuts! Again I have learned a few more tricks, but still prefer the fondant.



This cake is pretty simple and straight forward, but I think it turned out pretty cute. Allison really liked the flowers on it. It also tasted good. There's you upside to icing vs. fondant. The fondant, not one of my favorite tastes. However there are some people who enjoy the taste of the fondant.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah! I'm really excited. I think you do such an awesome job. I would like to take some cake decorating classes. I really enjoy it too but need to learn a lot of things. I'm excited to see all you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee!!! I am so excited that you started this! Post more pictures! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. go melanie, go melanie, it's your birthday! I'm so glad you did this! YEAH! Can't wait to see em all! I'll take one of each - do you do online ordering?

    Looks really good Melanie, I'm really excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited about your cake blog! I'm going to have to commission you for a cake sometime. You do a great job!

    ReplyDelete